Y’all, this Sunday I turn 29 and it’s a bit hard for me fathom. I’m entering my last year before I hit my thirties and I still feel like I’m barely a grown-up. I laugh inappropriately all the time and use my fingers at dinner. Plus, I barely look like I’m 19, much less 29!
I’m actually not a birthday person. I don’t want a birthday party, I don’t want to be sung to, etc. I’m an introvert by nature and I’m just uncomfortable having people look at me all day. Plus, when did birthdays become a month long thing? Isn’t one day of being the center of attention enough? (Although I gamely humor those who claim an entire month for their celebrations).
Last year Nick got me a big white bathrobe. I ended up spending my birthday lounging around in just my robe eating chocolate pie. This year I think we’re going to Memphis to run errands and then will probably go out to dinner. Lame, I know.
Now Halloween on the other hand is a celebration I can get behind and it’s a holiday that deserves to be observed beyond one day. To celebrate, most of this week’s favorites are seasonally themed:
1. You need to watch this video of men trying on “sexy” Halloween costumes. I have nothing against women wanting to look cute in their costumes. However in a world where sex sells, retailers are coming out with an increasing number of ridiculous and sexually provocative outfits. So much so that it’s become almost an expectation to dress as a sexy witch or nurse. Can women even buy a full coverage costume anymore?
2. To clean your palette, you must look at these pictures of puppies in costumes. I am dying over the cute factor and now suddenly want a third dog.
3. Everyone has their go-to candy to pass out on Halloween. Depending on my mood I either buy candy I don’t like so I won’t eat it all, or conversely I buy candy I do like in case there are leftovers. What does your candy choice say about you? Please tell me you don’t pass out raisins or granola bars.
4. Apparently this year I will be hitting my social peak. A study recently came out identifying 29 as the age when people have the most friends. So this is as good as it’s going to get.
5. In case you’ve been living under a rock, the Giants won the World Series. I don’t even follow sports, but it was an interesting series to track. I wonder how many Royals fans took the day off to mourn. While reading an article about the game, a picture caught my eye (see below). Is it just me, or does Madison Bumgarner look like Shia LaBeouf dressed up in a baseball uniform?
And with that, I wish you a happy weekend.