When the weather turns chilly, all I want to do it cozy up on the couch with a book or movie. Unfortunately this weekend is shaping up to be incredibly busy, and will involve me spending most of my Saturday helping put up our town’s holiday decorations in the freezing cold. Yup, for the past few years, a large portion of our town’s holiday decorations have been put up by a team of 4-5 people, including yours truly. Try spending an afternoon wrapping lights around tree trunks only to realize you’ve been putting the wrong end of cord at the bottom… Ah the glamour of being the director of tourism.
This weekend spend an extra hour on your couch for me, and while you’re at it check out some of my favorite links from the week.
1. I’m really excited about the new 31 Bits Holiday Collection featuring Taylor Sterling from the Glitter Guide as their poster girl. If you’re not familiar with the brand, their jewelry is made out of recycled paper by women in Uganda. The women work for the company for five years, receiving training in addition to income. After five years, they complete the program with their own small jewelry making business. Not only that, the jewelry is really cute. I’m hoping one of their necklaces ends up under the Christmas tree this year, hint hint…
2. Have you watched the music video for Kanye West’s song “Bound 2”? Basically it’s totally weird and involves a topless Kim Kardashian straddling him while he rides a motorcycle. Anyway, NPR just did a story on two girls who parodied the video, making “Hardcover Bound 2”, a rap video about reading and books. Check it out here.
3. This weekend my husband is flying to Dallas and is driving back with a new car!!! He is over a foot taller than me, so finding a car that works for both of us is difficult. After test driving several vehicles, we settled on this bad boy.
4. While I bemoan the manual labor involved with getting the town ready for Christmas, I love the events we host. Every year we kick off the holidays by lighting the Christmas tree downtown followed by a carol sing-along. Our tree is little and decorated by hand. Everyone in the crowd knows each other, so we huddle together and share songbooks, pretending we don’t hear when people hit the wrong notes. Note, it’s usually me. Moments like these feel like they’re straight out of a Hallmark Christmas movie. I can’t stand regular Hallmark movies, but every year I look forward to their Countdown to Christmas.
5. Last month I hosted three women bloggers in Helena during the King Biscuit Blues Festival. All three have written posts on their experiences. Visit Ten Feet Off Beale, GlitznGritz, and Instead of the Dishes to check out what they thought of my adopted hometown. It’s been fun seeing my friends and favorite places through someone else’s eyes.
Have a great weekend y’all!