I love this time of year! There is so much joy to be found in daffodils and tulips popping up, iced coffee jangling around in a cup, and sundresses once again returning to the light of day. Something about the return of sunshine also just begs for color in our clothes and on our faces. A bold pop of brightness to help return our pale winter faces to the land of living. Are you with me? If so, you too are probably on the hunt for a few new lipsticks/glosses to mix things up this season. Today I wanted to share a few of the lipsticks I currently have in heavy rotation.
Of course the only downside to this time of year are the seasonal allergies that come with it. The original plan for this post was to feature me wearing my favorite bold lipsticks, so you could see how they look on. Unfortunately my eyes are currently swollen into slits and my nose rivals that of Bozo the Clown. So you’ll have to make do with a glamour shot of my hand, doing its best to look fresh and ready for spring.
Now, I don’t know if you can tell from this picture, but my skin has yellow and olive undertones. So my favorite shades may not work quite as well on someone with fair, peaches and cream skin, a la Mil. So she may have to chime in with her own recommendations. One trend you’ll notice with my recommendations is that most are very affordable lines. When I take risks with makeup, I like to start at a low price point. That way I can throw away anything I don’t like without guilt.
1. Maybelline New York Color Sensational Vivids Lipcolor in Electric Orange. This lipstick goes on surprisingly sheer, which allows you to build the color to the level you want. Sheer orange can look surprisingly sophisticated.
2. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm/Stain in Rendezvous. I love this product, which applies like a balm, but with the vibrance of a lipstick. Rendezvous is a nice bold shade of peachy coral.
3. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm/Stain in Lovesick. A bright pink that is fun and definitely works for everyday wear.
4. Covergirl Lip Perfection Rapture in Spellbound. This lipstick is a bolder shade of pink. I like to save it for events that are a bit dressier. Swipe it on after work, and BOOM you’re ready for rooftop cocktails.
5. NARS Velevet Matte Lip Pencil in Damned. This is only slightly more upscale lip color I’m featuring, simply because I’m obsessed. I fell in love with it at the Nordstrom Spring Beauty Trend Show we recently attended and have been wearing it nonstop ever since. It’s a purplish-red that when heavily applied looks a bit vampy. I know shades in this family are trotted out in winter, but living by makeup rules is boring! You’ll see me out and about wearing this color all summer long.
This spring, take some risks both with your lipstick and your life. Sometimes I feel that doing the former can often lead to latter!