This past weekend, Jules and I spent some quality time indulging in one of our very favorite activities: hanging out at the bookstore and gleefully adding title after title to our never-ending reading list. Our mission was to pick up Mindy Kaling’s new book (which I immediately devoured later that night – so funny!), but of course we got distracted and wandered off to explore. Here are a few of the books we’re most excited about.
1. Fates and Furies examines the secrets, passion, and pain inherent in a seemingly perfect marriage over the course of 24 years. I’m really excited to read this one – it sounds like a fascinating look behind the curtain of a complex and layered relationship.
2. Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things has been praised as an hysterical, fearless, and eloquent exploration of the author’s battle with severe depression and anxiety. (And while it only just came out, it has nothing but five-star reviews on Amazon so far!)
3. Jules has been on a graphic novel kick lately, and the fanciful travelogue French Milk is at the top of her reading list: it chronicles Lucy Knisley’s journey to Paris with her mother as they both approach milestone birthdays.
4. It’s been awhile since I read a good historical novel, and The Miniaturist sounds intriguing and satisfyingly spooky. Set in 17th century Amsterdam, a young newlywed is gifted with an eerily accurate replica of her home, built and furnished by a mysterious figure who may control her fate.
5. When a bachelorette party takes a sinister turn, one woman must retrace the events of the weekend after waking up in the hospital with the knowledge that someone is dead. In a Dark, Dark Wood sounds like a really twisted version of The Hangover as told by Agatha Christie – don’t you think?
What are you guys reading right now? Our bookshelves may be overflowing, but we always love recommendations!