Summer is indisputably the best time of year to catch up on reading. The days are long, the weather is beautiful, all the good tv shows are on hiatus, and you long to be outside even if you don’t really have anything to do out there. Well, just grab a book and a beach towel and voilà, you’re all set! Here are a few of the titles on our must-read list this summer.
1. Looking for a mystery that’s both old-fashioned and high-tech? Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore delivers with geeky puzzles, conspiracy theories, a genuine love of books, and the pursuit of immortality.
2. A castaway story for the modern age, The Martian is about an astronaut whose crew unknowingly leaves him behind on Mars. He’s forced to fight for survival and find a way to contact Earth while facing starvation, mechanical failures, and the most profound sense of isolation any human has ever experienced. (Soon to be a movie starring Matt Damon!)
3. Orhan’s Inheritance is our next book club pick! Following the bizarre death of his grandfather, Orhan sets out to answer questions about his family; what he discovers spans from the Ottoman Empire to 1990s Los Angeles, and has the potential to completely unravel his family’s legacy.
4. What better time for explosive secrets to come to light than right before you get married? The literary equivalent of a light yet satisfying rom-com, Eight Hundred Grapes kicks off with Georgia Ford fleeing to her family’s winery days before her wedding. But don’t worry, the drama is just beginning.
5. In the years following a heist gone wrong, Unbecoming slowly untangles the story of an American expat in Paris as she fixates on her youth, the mistakes she’s made, and the two men she left behind.
Have you read any good books lately? We’d love to hear your recommendations!